Indonesia University of Education (UPI) was established on October 20, 1954 in Bandung officiated by the Minister of Education Mr. Muhammad Yamin. It was originally Teacher Education College (PTPG), established as a realization that efforts to educate people are needed as an important part of independence. Some reasons of the PTPG establishment were: first, after the independence was obtained, Indonesian people were in need of education; second, qualified teachers were needed to increase the quality of education and to be a prosperous society.
The main building of UPI was ruins of a villa named Isola, a former relics building before World War II. In the struggle against colonist, this building was used as headquarter of independence warriors. The ruins were rebuilt and became a sophisticated building with an original architecture named Bumi Siliwangi. The youth learned teacher education at the university level here for the first time as an actualization of a decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture No. 35742 on Sept 1st, 1954 about the establishment of Teacher Education College (PTPG).
At first, PTPG was led by a Dean that managed several majors, such as:
In line with a decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture No. 40718/S, PTPG could stand alone. Along with the establishment of Padjadjaran University (UNPAD), on November 25th, 1958 PTPG was then integrated into the main Faculty of UNPAD named the Faculty of Teacher Education Sciences (FKIP).
To stabilize the procurement system of educational teachers, various courses were available at that time i.e Teacher Training of B I and B II, which integrated into the Faculty of Teacher Education Sciences (FKIP) through a decree of the Ministry of Education and Culture No. 6/1961. FKIP then developed into FKIP A and B. At the same time, an Institute of Teacher Education (IPG) was established, which caused dualism. To remove the dualism, on May 1st, 1963 a Presidential Decree No. 1/1963 was issued and fused FKIP and IPG into the Institute of Teaching and Educational Sciences (IKIP), as the only institute for teachers. FKIP A/FKIP B as well as IPG in Bandung were finally fused and became the Institute of Teaching and Educational Sciences (IKIP) Bandung.
IKIP Bandung had 5 faculties, namely the Faculty of Educational Sciences, the Faculty of Social Science Education, the Faculty of Literature and Art, the Faculty of Teaching and Exact Science, the Faculty of Teaching and Technical Science. The need of teachers was urged as well as a passion to increase and equalize teachers’ ability. Thus, it encouraged IKIP Bandung to open extensions. During 1967-1970, IKIP Bandung opened extensions in almost all districts in West Java.
The role of IKIP Bandung was increasingly prominent after the government stated that IKIP Bandung became an adviser which supervised some IKIPs outside Java, located in Banda Aceh, Palembang, Palangkaraya and Banjarmasin, based on the policy of the Department of Education and Culture in early 1970’s. The extensions were gradually closed and branches of IKIP in regions became a faculty within the University in each region.
To increase teacher’s quality, in 1970 IKIP Bandung opened a program of Post Doctoral through the establishment of an Institute of Teaching and Post Doctoral (LPPD) which managed Master and Doctorate Degree. In 1976, LPPD was changed into Post Graduate School (SPs). In 1981, it changed into Post Graduate Faculty. In 1991, the Post Graduate Faculty then changed into Post Graduate Program, which then changed again into SPs in 2000.
The structuring of higher education programs by the government applying multiprograms and multistrata was followed by IKIP Bandung through an opening of Educational Diploma Program to increase qualification of Teacher of Kindergarten and Elementary School. The program was not only organized in Bumi Siliwangi campus, but also in Program Implementation Unit (UPP) of several schools of ex-Teacher Education School (SPG), which integrated into IKIP.
In line with the government policy in educational field which gave mandate expansion for Educational Institution (LPTK) to be able to follow demands change as well as anticipate every possibilities in the future, IKIP Bandung changed into Indonesia University of Education (UPI) through a Presidential Decree No. 124/1999 on Oct 7th, 1999.
To expand range and support of National development, UPI needs to be independent and progressed. This determination builds confidence. Started from 2004, based on Government Policy No. 6/2004, UPI has been given autonomy and becomes a state-owned legal entity (BHMN). In 2012, UPI’s status has been returned to a state university based on a Presidential Decree No. 43/2012.
The development and enhancement of UPI not only oriented in academics but also all, including concept stabilization and development. Through Islamic Development Bank (IDB) aid, UPI designs and manages a grand modern representative building to support teaching and learning activity. Therefore, UPI determines to be a Leading and Outstanding University.
Here are lists of chairman of UPI from PTPG, FKIP UNPAD, and IKIP Bandung to UPI: