1st UPI International Conference on Technical and Vocational Education and Training
Competence Development for the World of Work and for Sustainable Development
Overall Rationale and Purpose
All nations are faced with the challenge of improving their human resources to respond to national development needs, global competition, and to rapidly changing worlds of work, technology and economy. The development of workers’ competences at the level of technical and vocational education and training (TVET) is a key issue for economic development which in turn is the major precondition for sustainable societal development.
The 1st UPI International Conference on Technical and Vocational Education and Training is intended to be the first of a series of TVET conferences that provide a platform for international knowledge exchange between TVET research, industry, TVET providers, TVET teacher education and politics mainly targeting South-East, South and East Asia on research findings, concepts, best practice and experiences in technical and vocational education and training.
This conference will specifically deal with concepts for competence development in TVET and their implementation as well as with evaluation and assessment of vocational competences, but there will also be room for the discussion of other current research and development approaches in TVET.
There are quite a number of reference points for implementing this conference series in Indonesia. The goal of the Government of the Republic of Indonesia that by the year 2025 roughly two thirds of senior secondary education shall be technical and vocational education implies the need for great efforts in the quality development of TVET. Big TVET development projects co-funded by international donors (e.g. by Australia, Germany, Japan) require the contribution and involvement of TVET research of international scope in order to make use of global knowledge and experiences, and of national scope in order to promote sustainable implementation and development. A third reference point is the foundation of a National TVET Research Institute at Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia which as one of its goals has defined the cooperation with international and national experts and institutions in the field of TVET research.
Call for Contributions
The organizers of the conference invite contributors to submit abstracts of paper presentations in English language on the following themes:
- Concepts for Competence Development in TVET Competence development is among others closely related to how TVET is organised in terms of the definition, content, and form of curricula, the participation of stakeholders in the definition and implementation of TVET, the modes of learning and teaching deployed, and to the models of individual competence development which form the basis for shaping technical and vocational education and training.
- Evaluation and Assessment of Competence Development in TVET Evaluation of individual and collective competence development allows for drawing conclusions for shaping the provision of TVET in order to enhance efficiency, effectiveness and overall quality. Contents and form of learners’ assessments on the other hand influence as a type of second, hidden curriculum, sometimes largely independent from defined curricular objectives, what competences learners will most strive to achieve. This topic also gives room for the discussion of international comparisons of competence acquisition.
- Best Practice in Organising Learning for the World of Work Under this topic contributions are expected that show how TVET can be organised and delivered in order to prepare learners for the world of work, for their participation in society, and for contributing to sustainable development of economy, society and environment.
- Current Research and Development Approaches for TVET This theme is open for presentation and discussion of innovative research and development approaches in TVET that are not already covered by the previous topics, including methods for curriculum development. Contributors are invited to put intended, running, or recently completed R&D initiatives to discussion.
Individual presentations will last 30 minutes each (20 minutes presentation plus 10 minutes discussion).
Contributors interested in organising a special workshop session are invited to do so. A special workshop session will last either 90 minutes or 180 minutes. Organisers of workshop sessions are requested to contact the Scientific Committee in advance of the deadline for submission of proposals.
Submission of Abstracts and Full Papers
Proposals for a contribution should be submitted with
- Name(s), title(s), affiliation of presenter(s)
- abstract of about 300 to 400 words (scientific rules should be respected)
- contact information of the main presenter
- topic for which the contribution is submitted
For submitting an abstract please use the template provided on the conference website
Proposal of Special Workshop Sessions
Organizers of special workshop sessions are requested to submit a concept note for the workshop session presenting the goal and content of the workshop as well as the intended form of organization. Contributors should be named, and the participants should be characterized. In case of questions please contact the scientific committee via Dr. Joachim Dittrich
Full papers must use the Full Paper template provided on the conference website. Full Papers may not exceed 10 pages including references and all other necessary information without modification of the pre-described format.
The abstract, workshop proposal and full paper (when accepted to be presented) should be submitted by email to
Important Dates and Deadlines
Submission of abstracts: 11th July 2010
Notification of acceptance: 26th July 2010
Submission of Full Papers: 1st October 2010
Registration for Presenters 1st October 2010
|Waktu / |
|10th – 11th November 2010|
|Lokasi / |
|Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia|
Jl. Dr. Setiabudhi No. 229
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia 40154
|Peserta / |
|Biaya / |
|Kontak / |
|Dr. Agus Setiawan, HP:+62 813 20014551|
Dr. Hj. Budi Mulyanti, HP: +62 813 21348444
Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia
Fakultas Pendidikan Teknologi dan Kejuruan
Jl. Dr. Setiabudhi 207, Bandung 40154, Indonesia